Sunday, January 23, 2011

What did you learn today?-Nicole R.

This play had a big impact on me because this was the first ever play that i've gone to that actually puts in meditation intervals and in those quiet periods, i felt the audience and actors became one in mind and actually shared each others thoughts without having to express themselves vocally. It gave me time to properly reflect on the message the actors were trying to portray through the different scenes. I discovered that the audience were all thinking on the same wavelength through the thoughts of people that shared and the replies of "me too" after they shared their thoughts.

I also felt a connection to the actors as they were actually comfortable with sharing their private life such as how Neo Swee Lin shared about her mother and when Lim Kay Siew sang her a song after which i felt so touched as  they were sharing their close husband and wife relationship with us when usually actors tend to keep things very proffessional, so this was also a first for me. It let me sympathise with their feelings and it kept me attentive and reflective instead of having a fixed storyline.

I felt the play was about the ups and downs of life and how school life could be like for both students and teachers and how learning could be hard sometimes, with both teachers and students learning from each other. It taught me that life was a journey of learning which we caThe scene that impacted me most was when the student's voice was portrayed by Kay Siew playing the violin in high, squeaky tones and the teacher not understanding and getting agitated, screaming at the violin to "sit down and shut up!". I thought at that point, that to truly learn and understand what is being taught at school, both teacher and student must be able to communicate and understand each other. If not, it will just end badly with the teacher getting angry and uptight and the student being confused.

The structure of the play was one scene showing the positive side of life then a meditation period followed by the negative side of life. Overall this play was different in a good way and i would love to see more of Neo Swee Lin and Lim Kay Siew's acting. It was really in-depth and helped me to reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment