Sunday, January 16, 2011

PRIMARY 1 - Lauren (:

OVERVIEW
When I walked into the exhibition, I could not understand what was the point of the babies and the pictures on the wall. I felt that nothing was connected and that everything felt wrong. But I looked closer and closer and I finally understood. Well at least my opinion on it. I think the babies on the tables, represent levels and that each child is growing at its own rate. I feel that children progress and learn at different rates and that if you force someone too much, the course of nature will be disrupted. Therefore I felt that the babies showed levels of maturity and that they are trying to tell “kia su” Singaporean parents this message.

The pictures on the wall seem to be telling me a story. A story about life as a student. I think that the pictures also represent a multi racial world as the children in the pictures all come from different race and religions. Some of the pictures are even about racial harmony. The fact that all these race and religions joined together shows that the designer may also be trying to say that everyone could live together peacefully and without wars and disputes.

I think the students have their own views on society and I feel that the way they are brought up as a huge role to play on how they are thinking. What their parents are teaching them is very important as that is what they listen to. When the lady in the video was communicating with her baby, at first I felt “what is this lady doing? She’s making a fool of herself! She looks really funny.” Then after watching the video for a while I realized that if I looked at it from a different point of view, I would see things differently. The mother could have been trying to teach her child economics and what is going on in the world. The calm and soothing music in the background could mean that the mother wants to teach her child peace and harmony. Teaching her child that war is not always the answer to all problems.

The desks that belonged to the students of that class all had writing and graffiti on them. I think these students wrote on the desks their opinions on what is happening, what they are feeling and their opinions on society. It’s their point of view on this matter and in a way each topic on each desk sort of signifies an individual problem that the world is facing.  

I feel that the video and the desks are somehow in a way connected as the writing on the desks are about problems happening in the global world. It is almost like as if the video is trying to teach the next generation how to stay away from these problems. The video and the sign language will help to strengthen and broaden the minds of these young babies and hopefully will be the foundation to the next generation.





DISCUSS ONE PHOTO IN DEPTH   
The picture I chose to go into detail about is the one with the school girls all standing together holding their dolls. The dolls are all dressed up differently and they are full of colour and life.

The girls in the picture could have been given a project about racial harmony. The dolls coming together with different costumes from different ethnic groups could be a representation on global harmony.

The picture was very meaningful to me as I feel that nowadays, living in a multi racial country has thought me that I have to be conscious of the people around me and I can’t do stupid stuff to offend anyone. It has thought me to be open-minded and not be so shallow when it comes to something unfamiliar. The picture also has another meaning to me. Singapore is a growing nation and I feel that many races and religions are coming together to form this beautiful place and that because we are the next generation, we must learn to keep it together.









A letter to the girl sitting on the bench.
I feel like I know you, it’s as if I’ve met you before, but I can’t remember where. Why are you sitting there all by yourself? Is it because you’re afraid of something or maybe because you’re feeling alone. You kind of remind me of me on my first day in my new school. I remember having only one friend and not knowing anyone. That feeling of loneliness, makes you feel empty doesn’t it?

You should know that you are not alone and that there is always someone or something there for you. When you’re feeling lonely or alone, you should talk to someone about it. Maybe you could try talking to your mom or a teacher or maybe even a friend. Bottling things up is not going to make things any better. When you’re hiding something inside you, the only thing that’s going to help is when you talk it out.

You are much more capable than you think you are. Do not underestimate yourself. Just follow your dreams and you’ll be able to do whatever you want.





Education in Singapore
I feel that I am really lucky to be able to study in Singapore and grow up here. I feel that Singapore’s education system is one of the best in the world and many people are actually coming here to study.  I feel that as a Singaporean I am really proud and honored to say that I studied here and grew up here.  I feel that as a thriving new country, Singapore is doing really well and the fact that Singapore is a multi-racial nation; it really helps us to grow and learn. It develops the way we think and how this affects us as we grow up. Unlike in other countries they may not be able to get this sort experience we do. So therefore I feel that my education in Singapore is really important to me.

IDEALISM vs. REALITY
I think to me idealism means that it is a sort of dream. Like it’s not real. Its as if the ideal world is your imagination because nothing is perfect. Reality is when everything makes sense. When people makes mistakes because that’s just normal. In your dreams, nothing goes wrong.

GLOBALISATION vs. NATIONALISATION
I feel that globalisation is when the country is good at work and that everything is purely business related and everything is very unfriendly. Nationalisation is when everyone is working together to form our country. Where the people actually care for the country and want to make it better. Their love and devotion to the nation is wha counts.




No comments:

Post a Comment