Saturday, January 22, 2011

What did you learn today? - Lauren(:


Lauren <3
What did you learn today?

This play was different from others that I’ve seen. It is different in a way such that it is very much more interactive. At first when they started the show, I was a little uncertain about what was going to happen. I was afraid that they might come up and ask people from the audience to come out into the centre and assist them. I’m actually not sure whether I was happy that it did not happen.

I felt that the actors did really well. The way they switched from one character to another was tremendously well done. For example, when they were happy in one scene and immediately after that the following scene was a fight scene and the way their mood changed so quickly is something I believe we can learn.

I really liked the way that both Neo Swee Lin and her husband Lim Kay Siew both acted together in this piece. They were not afraid to share with us their personal experience and all about their lives. When they were talking about themselves, I felt that they were really brave and open. To be able to share one’s personal feelings so openly, it takes a lot of courage. Therefore I admire them for this.

From my understanding, I don’t think that the play was focused entirely long one story line. The playwright wrote it such that it told a story about life but from different aspects. The first part of the play, the couple sang a lovely song that got the audience to interact and sing-a-long. Then they proceeded to explain what it was like being a child and not knowing much. As a child, there were many things that they did not understand and it showed really clearly in their acting. They then moved on to what it was like in school, as a teenager. They portrayed that growing up was not easy and that there will be ups and downs in life. They also thought me that when I’m young and still probably naïve, I will make mistakes, and it’s all right because people makes mistakes and its only natural. From these mistakes, I will learn and improve. Then they moved on to when they were married and they showed how couples fight. Then they showed how even when they are old, their love is still as strong as ever! When Swee Lin “passed away”, I was really sad and even teared a little. The scene was so touching and the way all of Kay Siew’s emotions poured out was just so touching and I could feel the sincerity and love that he had for her.

I felt that the meditation parts of the play was really good as it allowed the audience to be a part of the play and voice out what they truly feel. Sometimes people are to shy to actually admit these feelings but i think it really helped to gain more self-confidence. I was actually really amazed at myself, as I could not believe that I had to courage to say something. The meditation parts made me reflect on life and think back about all the things I’ve done. It also however, made me realize that I actually have nothing good against my name… 

No comments:

Post a Comment