Sunday, January 23, 2011

MELISSA: What Did You Learn Today?

In the play 'What Did You Learn Today?', I found it really interactive, funny and dramatic at the same time. I also liked the fact that Neo Swee Lin and Lim Kay Siu were the actors in this play, and the fact that they are married. 
The play started out with them singing a song. Kay Siu played the guitar and they took turns singing the song. Halfway through the song, they got all of us to clap along with them and sing the chorus with them. As I've said before, it was an interactive play. After the song, they started talking to us and I found them really funny. Whatever they said was true. They also started the play by telling us that if they forgot their lines, if they got a wardrobe malfunction, we would see it. They also said this at the end of the play, only with a darker tone. 
When they started the play, I was clueless about what was going to happen in this play. I didn't know what to expect. I was very impressed by the way they performed. They were so expressive in whatever the did. For example, in one scene of the play, Kay Siu played the student who had to present something for speech and drama. Swee Lin played the ignorant teacher. When Kay Siu's character finished talking about his parent's getting a new house, Swee Lin's character started critisizing him. Kay Siu's character then went on saying how much he hated his teacher. He then strangled her till she was lying on the floor, barely conscious. He scolded her a "cunt" and started shouting vulgarites at her. I found that so impressive as they are married in real life and she actually allowed him to say those things to her.
I liked the meditation part of the play. The sound and lighting crew would dim the lights and they would play this relaxing sound with a powerpoint slide saying what they wanted us to reflect on. I found it very effective as we, the audience got to say what we reflected on and people would listen to us. I wanted to say some things but I was too shy at that time. I liked it because it was calm and quite. It was relaxing.
This play also made me tear up. It was the scene when Swee Lin's character passed away and Kay Siu's character was still speaking to her, pouring his emotions out. I was so touched as this showed that they loved each other till the very end. It made me realize that even when you're old, you can still love and not take your partner for granted. 





No comments:

Post a Comment