Monday, January 17, 2011

Model Citizen - Letter to Character (Nicole Cheah)


Melly,
Why get a job in Singapore?
-ili

Hey ili,

Why get a job in Singapore? I looked for a job here because Singapore is one of the countries, which is nearest to Indonesia. This allows me to save on the cost of my air ticket for when I wish to visit home since I am only earning $300 a month. Furthermore, Singapore is a multiracial country and since my main language is Bahasa Melayu and English, I am able to converse with the people here easier. Rather than going to other countries to work like China or Hong Kong where I am unable to speak their languages which are Chinese or some dialect.

Also, as you know there is a low crime rate in Singapore. It is much safer than compared to the other countries. In Singapore there is also a political stability. These factors make me feel very relaxed and comforted. Singapore is also one of the well-developed countries.

One of the most important points is that I wish for my family in Indonesia to have a better life. Which is why I would want to work here and eventually get them to come to Singapore too if possible. The schools in Indonesia aren’t exactly safe and may be dangerous especially for my younger sister. Anything could happen so I want to ensure that she is safe and protected so that my mother will not worry so much.

- Melly 

No comments:

Post a Comment