Saturday, March 19, 2011

Emily OF Emerald Hill ~ xoxoLauren


I watched Emily of Emerald Hill on Friday the 11th of March at 8pm. When I'd first heard that we were going to watch it, i was actually quite doubtful about it, so I did some research on it and found out that this piece was a monologue starring Ivan Heng. What was really interesting was that Ivan Heng would be playing the role of a woman, I was very fascinated by this and i remember thinking that there was no way this show could be good, and that it would have sucked. However, i was proved entirely wrong that night.

I loved the way Ivan Heng was able to play the role of Emily despite being a man. I feel that at times, he played a better woman then an actual woman. (Does that make sense?) Ivan was able to show different emotions on his character; for example, he was really soft when it came to sad and mysterious scenes, like when Emily's son had died. Whenever Ivan wanted to change characters, which was quite rare, was simple but yet obvious. He made your of his posture and hand gestures when playing different characters. I especially loved how he was able to do improvised work with the audience when he spoke to us.

I was really amazing to be watching a two and a half hour long monologue and not feel “sian”. This was really something that I have taken home with me and I hope that I will benefit form it.

No comments:

Post a Comment