Sunday, March 20, 2011

Emily of Emerald Hill -Dawn Yiu

[Emily of Emerald Hill]
When I realised that this play was going to be 2 hours long and its only going to have only one actor acting, I was quite disappointed because I thought it would be really boring, however it turns out that I was wrong, really wrong.

In this play, Ivan Heng played a role as a nonya. I thought he potrayed this character very well. At first when he spoke, although it was a deep manly voice I was just unsure of how the play was going to be, but at the end of it, I was fully convinced that he is a woman. The way he imitates how women walk,talk and even how they place their hands is even more feminine than what a present woman would do. The way he moved his body, swaying his hips back and forth when he walked,and the way he lazily placed his hand and arm on top of the other when thinking and speaking.

I thought that this play was very clear to me was also because of how he changed his character. Whenever he changed from a character to another, there would be something significant that Ivan Heng would do to let it represent the character making it clear to the audience which character is he playing. For example, when he changed his role to Emily's father-in-law, he would walk in a strut, speak in a deep English accent and always holding a pipe to his lips. When he changes his role to Susie, he would use a more irritating and nosey voice for her. 

All in all, I really thought that Ivan Heng is a strong actor, despite being a man, he could convinced the audience that he is a woman, and that the way he acts, talks, walk could change the mood and atmosphere of the play. For example at the end of scene 1, the way he sobbed and poured his heart out on stage was ( :O ) beyond words. His body was bent so forward as if he was pleading for something, and how he fling both of his hands out when Emily found put that Richard (her son) was dead.

I had a really good time watching this play and I thought it was definitely worth while sitting for 2 hours watching Ivan Heng on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment