Sunday, March 20, 2011

Emily Of Emerald Hill- Raeburn.

I thoroughly enjoyed Emily of Emerald Hill. Before watching the play, I felt really excite to watch the play, I was very interested as to how they were going to display Pernakan culture, however, I was also a little apprehensive as I realised that it was going to be a 2 hour monologue.

I was amazed at how Ivan Heng was able to make it seem as though there was another person on stage with him. There was one part of the play when Emily had to hug her son. Although there wasn’t another actor playing Emily’s son, Ivan Heng to reached out, bent his elbows and curled his fingers as if he were embracing Emily’s son. 

I also enjoyed how he changed the way he spoke. Once, was when Emily was on the phone with her friends and the caterer. When she spoke to the caterer, Ivan Heng, spoke in a fake English accent but Ivan Heng wanted to show that Emily had lost her temper he would speak Singlish. Ivan heng would also change the way he spoke when he change his character. When he turned into Emily’s sister-in-law, Ivan Heng would use a nasle, whiney voice. But when he turned into Emily’s father-in-law, he would have a very deep voice.

Lastly, I was astounded at the way he spoke. He was able to speak an incredible tempo. At some points of the play, to show that he was busy, Ivan Heng would speak exceedingly fast. When I heard him, I was so amazed at how he did not fumble on his words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment